- Click to see the Comprehensive 2016-17 Professional Development Calendar
- Click to see the 2016-17 Group Professional Development Calendar (updated Sept. 20th, 2016)
- Click the button to browse local, global and community professional development events, opportunities, and programs.
- Unless specifically noted, neither the professional content nor opportunities are provided or endorsed by MMSD.
Click on the PD Catalog button above.
New Users: Create a new account
Click on CREATE A NEW PD ACCOUNT. The Employee Key is your b number without the b. Use your MMSD email address. You can use any password you would like; remember this password. Once this is done, you'll automatically be logged in. Bookmark this page.
If you do not have an MMSD email, use your b# and a reliable email address to create your account. You can find your b# on an MMSD check (employee number).
Returning Users: Login
Each account holder should have a basic layout with two different boxes: One is titled INSTRUCTOR and the other is titled PARTICIPANT. If you are planning to enroll in a course, you will be looking in the PARTICIPANT box.
Click on SEARCH COURSES. You can search by TERM by choosing from the drop-down menu and then clicking SEARCH. You can look for a specific course by typing in a keyword and then clicking on SEARCH. If you know the course number, enter it in Search by Course ID: and click GO. If the course is password protected, enter the password in Search by Password: and click GO.
Find the course you would like to take. Click VIEW. The course information will come up. If you would like additional information about the course, click on VIEW SYLLABUS. After reading or printing out the syllabus, close that window.
At the top of the page is a blue box where you can choose the type of credit you would like from the drop-down menu. Click REGISTER FOR THIS SECTION. You are now registered for the course.
WITHDRAWING FROM A COURSE
If you would like to withdraw from a course, click on YOUR COURSES in the PARTICIPANT box on the Main Menu. Find the course you are looking for and click VIEW, then Click on WITHDRAW.
If you would like to change the credit type you originally chose for a course, click on YOUR COURSES in the PARTICIPANT box on the Main Menu. Find the course you are looking for and click on VIEW. Select your new credit choice from the drop down menu and click on Update Registration. Credit types can be changed until 11:59 p.m. on the course start date.
QUESTIONS? If you have a question regarding the PD Catalog, please contact Joleen Welborn firstname.lastname@example.org or call 663-4955.
GENERAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION REGARDING COURSES ON THE PD CATALOG
Sessions with enrollment limits will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Certified staff under contract have enrollment priority. Please read the entire course description as there are important deadlines and information you may need. No phone enrollments will be accepted.
- Participants must complete the course to receive credit; there are no partial credit options.
- If a session is full: your name will be put on a waiting list
- If a session is cancelled: you will be notified as soon as the cancellation decision is made.
- If you need to cancel your registration: please do so as far in advance as possible. This will allow others to attend who may be on a waiting list, or may affect cancellation decisions.
- You can withdraw yourself from a course by going to YOUR COURSES after logging on to the PD Catalog
Resources for Central Office PD Course Instructors
SCHOOL-BASED or NON-MMSD EXTERNALLY PROVIDED PDSchools offering PD during non-contract hours can use the PD attendance form for PACs (during non-contract hours) below and submit to HR (instead of using the PD Catalog.) Principal signature is required. Non-MMSD external PD providers offering PD to a group of MMSD staff may want to use the PD attendance record below and submit it to the PAC Committee along with the PD agenda and times. This can replace individuals completing/submitting individual PAC forms.
Information For Instructors Offering MMSD Courses for Academic Credit
The deadline for Summer Courses offering UW-Madison credit is typically in April. Turn in the paper copy of the Request for UW Special Student Reduced Tuition Pricing Form to the PLLD office when you submit your MMSD Course Proposal electronically. Unless you have a UW contact, we will take care of UW signatures.
Students must enroll with UW-Madison within one week of the course start date. No changes can be made to enrollment after that date UNLESS there is a valid emergency situation.
2.) Edgewood ($170.00 per credit Spring 2016; $175.00 per credit starting Summer 2016)
3.) Viterbo ($110.00 per credit) (you must be an adjunct professor)
Contact information: Christine Valenti at 800/234-8721, email@example.com
4.) Cardinal Stritch ($160.00 per credit)
Contact information: Judy Wendorf at 800/347-8822 x4378
5.) Concordia University ($132.50 per credit)
Contact information: Dr. Steven Witt at 262/243-4253, firstname.lastname@example.org
MMSD PD Instructor, PACs, and Extended Contract Pay
Teachers who teach PD Courses as part of their regular duties:
Building-based teachers who teach professional development courses as part of their regular duties should plan and prepare PD courses as part of their normal roles and responsibilities. They may receive PACs only for the PD delivery during non-contract hours (not for planning time). Or if approved by a supervisor, they may be paid Extended Contract for work performed outside of the contract year.
Central Office teachers who teach professional development courses as part of their regular duties should plan, prepare, and deliver PD courses as part of their normal roles and responsibilities. Or if approved by a supervisor, they may be paid Extended Contract for work performed outside of the contract year.
Teachers who do not teach PD Courses as part of their regular duties:
Teachers who do not teach professional development courses as part of their regular duties, but who teach a professional development course, will be paid pursuant to Section III-J in the CBA, Extended Contract for each hour of instruction, plus one (1) hour of preparation for each hour of instruction, if the course is taught after the teacher's normal work day or during the summer. In lieu of compensation, a teacher may elect to receive one (1) professional advancement credit for each ten (10) hours of in-class instructional time (that occur during non-contract hours).
In order to receive credit, register and enroll just as a participant would for your course. When crediting your participants, you will also credit yourself.
Click here to get materials from Principal Meeting PDs.Schools can offer MMSD PD at school or across the district (See how under the "For PD Instructors" tab)
How principals can access staff PD Catalog records:1. Create an account and log in to the PD Catalog
2. Once you are logged in, under the main menu, note the headers:
3. Click on "COURSES". You can search any course and see who enrolled, completed, or did not complete a course from your school.
4. Click on "EMPLOYEES". Search for any of your staff member's PD Catalog records.
Most forms are in Microsoft Word format. They need to be saved to your computer, completed and then printed.
Independent Study Contract
Please note that incomplete proposals will NOT be accepted. Proposals should be submitted to Marggie Banker, Director of Professional Learning and Leadership Development at Central Office, Doyle Building.
Step 1. Read the Independent Study Contract.
Step 2. Complete the contract, obtain approval from your principal or supervisor, and submit the contract to Marggie Banker for pre-approval. A copy of the approved contract will be emailed to you.
Step 3. Complete the work as specified in the contract.
Step 4. Submit evidence to Marggie Banker for final review.
PAC Request Forms (Turn in forms to HR for PAC committee review)
Schools offering PD during non-contract hours can use the PD attendance form for PACs below and submit to HR (instead of using the PD Catalog). Non-MMSD external PD providers offering PD to a group of MMSD staff may want to use the PD attendance record below and submit it to the PAC Committee along with the PD agenda and times. This can replace individuals completing/ submitting individual PAC forms.Note: Requests that exceed 3 PACs require pre-approval of the PAC committee.
Professional Development Attendance Record for Schoolbased PD
Professional Development Attendance Record for MMSD External PD
In-District Committee Work PAC Credit Request
Out-of-District Professional Development Activities PAC Credit Request
Student Teacher Portfolio Permission Form
Parent/Guardian Permission Form
Out of District Conference Request & Reimbursement Forms (both)
Education Assistant-District Sponsored Staff Development Request
Education Assistant-District Sponsored Professional Development Request
Vacation & Mileage Forms
MMSD Mileage Forms
PLLD Vacation Form
Professional advancement credits (PACs) are used to advance on the salary schedule that is managed by the Human Resources Department. The credit may be an academic credit given by a college or university (usually for a fee), or a credit that has been established by the district and awarded for participation in a district-sponsored course or committee (at no cost to the participant).What are they used for?
PACs act like academic credits in allowing you to cross the salary schedule horizontally and vertically for Improvement or Incentive Levels. When they are used, 1 PAC = 1 University Credit.Are PACs as useful as college/university credits?
Both academic credits and/or professional advancement credits are accepted for vertical movement on the teachers' salary schedule and may be used for track transfer to Tracks 2 (BA+12), 3 (BA+24), 5 (MA+12), and 6 (MA+24). Only academic credits will earn placement on Tracks 4 (Masters Degree), 7 (Masters + 48 Academic Credits) and 8 (Ph.D, MFA or 2nd Masters).What are Improvement/Incentive levels, and how would they apply to me?
To advance on the salary schedule beyond levels 8.0, 12.0 and 15.0 (vertical, longevity-related), bargaining unit members must earn six (6) professional advancement credits every four (4) years to cross an improvement level and earn three (3) professional advancement credits every two (2) years to cross an incentive level.
GUI Record and Salary Advancement
Your GUI record is housed in HR and is the official record of credits used to determine salary advancement. Questions regarding salary advancement should be directed to HR (663-5850). The records on the PD Catalog are unofficial records and are informational only.Click here to view the salary schedule.
PACs are automatically sent to HR and uploaded to your GUI record after a course has been completed. You will be emailed a credit memo showing the amount of PACs awarded.
If a course is taken for Academic Credit, you are responsible for requesting an official transcript and turning it in to HR for salary schedule advancement. After the official transcript is turned in to HR, the credits will be added to the GUI record.
Credit Deadlines in HR for PACs, university credits, and/or degree verification
|PAC Review Committee Deadline||Salary Month||Month Reflected in Salary Increase|
* deadline is only for the PACC review; official deadline for HR is July 1st
Credit Guidelines for MMSD Courses
- Professional Advancement Credits (PACs) are only for employees in the Teaching (Collective Bargaining Agreement) Unit. One course PAC equals 10 hours. The total hours may include face-to- face, online instruction, and extended assignments. Participation must occur during non-contract time, participants may not receive extended employment payment (also only available to the Teaching Unit), and participants may not have hotel, travel, or registration fees paid by the District. District policy is that PACs are truncated, not rounded up to the tenth. For example, .25 PACs would be recorded as .2 PACs. For District-offered courses, participants must complete the course to receive credit; there are not partial credit options. PACs will automatically be transferred to HR when participants complete a course in the PD Catalog.
- Professional Development Hours are for administrators, SEAs, EAs, clerical, substitute teachers, and other Units who do not receive PACs.
- PD Hours are also for teachers during contract time PD. Although PD Hours are not relevant to salary schedule advancements nor do they count as Academic Credits for licensure, some individuals want them for their records.
- Academic Credit is credit offered by a participating college or university. If participants choose academic credit (College or University Credit), they cannot choose PACs. Participants must turn in Academic Credit transcripts to HR for salary schedule advancements.
- Extended Employment is occasionally an option available in the PD Catalog, paid by the sponsoring Department/School. If this option is selected, PACs are not an option.
- Teacher Salary Advancement information is managed by Human Resources: https://hrweb.madison.k12.wi.us/files/hr/salschedguide.pdf (608)663-1864
- Find your credit record by logging into the GUI400 Icon (Space Shuttle) in your Novell Applications Folder. To find your non-credit record (PD Hours), login to your PD Catalog account.
Types of PACsNote: PAC forms are on the Professional Development Forms tab
MMSD SPONSORED ACTIVITIES
Call Professional Development at 663-4955 with questions.
- Participation must occur during non-contract time
- Participant must not have received other MMSD compensation (sub, travel, fees, extended employment, etc.)
- Does not need to be directly related to certification/assignment
- Participants must attend all designated sessions of a course to receive full credit