- Click to see the Comprehensive 2018-19 Professional Development Calendar
- Click to see the Summer 2018 Professional Development Calendar (updated May 1st, 2018)
- Click the button to browse events and programs outside of MMSD.
- Unless specifically noted, neither the professional content nor opportunities are provided or endorsed by MMSD.
- If you attend any of these courses, you may qualify to receive PACs. Fill out the Out of District PAC Request Form if your attendance qualifies.
Click on the Courses button above. This will take you to a list of courses offered at MMSD.
REGISTERING FOR A COURSE
Choose the course you would like from the list and click REGISTER. Provide the information requested and click SUBMIT.
WITHDRAWING FROM A COURSE
If you would like to withdraw from a course, open your confirmation email and click MANAGE. From there you will be able to cancel your registration.
CHANGING CREDIT TYPE
If you would like to change the credit type you originally chose for a course, click on MANAGE in your confirmation email and choose UPDATE REGISTRATION. Credit types can be changed until 11:59 p.m. on the course start date, unless an earlier date is indicated.
QUESTIONS? If you have a question regarding the PD Catalog, please contact Joleen Welborn email@example.com or call 663-4955.
GENERAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION REGARDING COURSES ON THE NEW CATALOG
Sessions with enrollment limits will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please read the entire course description as there are important deadlines and information you may need. No phone enrollments will be accepted.
- Participants must complete the course to receive credit; there are no partial credit options.
- If a session is full: contact the instructor to see if there is a waiting list
- If a session is cancelled: you will be notified as soon as the cancellation decision is made.
- If you need to cancel your registration: please do so as far in advance as possible. This will allow others to attend who may be on a waiting list, or may affect cancellation decisions.
- You can withdraw yourself from a course through your confirmation email by clicking MANAGE and choosing "Cancel your Registration". The deadline for this is the first day of the course.
MMSD course instructors will now use the forms below to propose and post courses on the new PD Catalog. If you are interested in offering courses at MMSD, please read through the following process. Email Joleen Welborn (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about the process.
Every course requires a Course Proposal.
You will find the Course Proposal template below. Make a copy of this document, change the file name to the course title and fill it in with the pertinent information. Instructions to submit the course are on the cover-sheet of the document.
Please allow 5 to 7 days for PLLD to upload your course
Course Proposal Template
Example Syllabus for Participants
Rental Facilities for MMSD PD
SCHOOL-BASED or NON-MMSD EXTERNALLY PROVIDED PDSchools offering PD during non-contract hours can use the PD attendance form for PACs (during non-contract hours) below and submit to HR (instead of using the PD Catalog.) Principal signature is required. Non-MMSD external PD providers offering PD to a group of MMSD staff may want to use the PD attendance record below and submit it to the PAC Committee along with the PD agenda and times. This can replace individuals completing/submitting individual PAC forms.
Information For Instructors Offering MMSD Courses for Academic Credit
The deadline for Summer Courses offering UW-Madison credit is typically in April. Turn in the paper copy of the Request for UW Special Student Reduced Tuition Pricing Form to the PLLD office when you submit your MMSD Course Proposal electronically. Unless you have a UW contact, we will take care of UW signatures.
Students must enroll with UW-Madison within one week of the course start date. No changes can be made to enrollment after that date UNLESS there is a valid emergency situation.
2.) Edgewood ($185.00 per credit.)
MMSD PD Instructor, PACs, and Extended Employment Pay
Teachers who teach PD Courses as part of their regular duties: Building-based teachers who teach professional development courses as part of their regular duties should plan and prepare PD courses as part of their normal roles and responsibilities. They may receive PACs only for the PD delivery during non-contract hours (not for planning time). Or if approved by a supervisor, they may be paid Extended Employment for work performed outside of the contract year.
Central Office teachers who teach professional development courses as part of their regular duties should plan, prepare, and deliver PD courses as part of their normal roles and responsibilities. Or if approved by a supervisor, they may be paid Extended Employment for work performed outside of the contract year.
Teachers who do not teach PD Courses as part of their regular duties:
Teachers who do not teach professional development courses as part of their regular duties, but who teach a professional development course, will be paid pursuant to Section III-J in the CBA, Extended Employment for each hour of instruction, plus one (1) hour of preparation for each hour of instruction, if the course is taught after the teacher's normal work day or during the summer. In lieu of compensation, a teacher may elect to receive one (1) professional advancement credit (PAC) for each ten (10) hours of in-class instructional time that occurs during non-contract hours.
In order to receive credit, register and enroll just as a participant would for your course. When crediting your participants, you will also credit yourself.
Most forms are in Microsoft Word format. They need to be saved to your computer, completed and then printed.
Independent Study Contract
Please note that incomplete proposals will NOT be accepted. Proposals should be submitted to Sue Gorud, Director of Professional Learning and Leadership Development at Central Office, Doyle Building.
Step 1. Read the Independent Study Contract.
Step 2. Complete the contract, obtain approval from your principal or supervisor, and submit the contract to Sue Gorud for pre-approval. A copy of the approved contract will be emailed to you.
Step 3. Complete the work as specified in the contract.
Step 4. Submit evidence to Sue Gorud for final review.
PAC Request Forms (Turn in forms to HR for PAC committee review)
Schools offering PD during non-contract hours can use the PD attendance form for PACs below and submit to HR (instead of using the PD Catalog). Non-MMSD external PD providers offering PD to a group of MMSD staff may want to use the PD attendance record below and submit it to the PAC Committee along with the PD agenda and times. This can replace individuals completing/submitting individual PAC forms.Note: Requests that exceed 3 PACs require pre-approval of the PAC committee.
Professional Development Attendance Record for Schoolbased PD
Professional Development Attendance Record for MMSD External PD
In-District Committee Work PAC Credit Request
Out-of-District Professional Development Activities PAC Credit Request
Student Teacher Portfolio Permission Form
Parent/Guardian Permission Form
Out of District Conference Request & Reimbursement Forms (both)
Education Assistant-District Sponsored Staff Development Request
Education Assistant-District Sponsored Professional Development Request
Vacation & Mileage Forms
MMSD Mileage Forms
PLLD Vacation Form
Professional advancement credits (PACs) are used to advance on the salary schedule that is managed by the Human Resources Department. The credit may be an academic credit given by a college or university (usually for a fee), or a credit that has been established by the district and awarded for participation in a district-sponsored course or committee (at no cost to the participant).What are they used for?
PACs act like academic credits in allowing you to cross the salary schedule horizontally and vertically for Improvement or Incentive Levels. When they are used, 1 PAC = 1 University Credit.Are PACs as useful as college/university credits?
Both academic credits and/or professional advancement credits are accepted for vertical movement on the teachers' salary schedule and may be used for track transfer to Tracks 2 (BA+12), 3 (BA+24), 5 (MA+12), and 6 (MA+24). Only academic credits will earn placement on Tracks 4 (Masters Degree), 7 (Masters + 48 Academic Credits) and 8 (Ph.D, MFA or 2nd Masters).What are Improvement/Incentive levels, and how would they apply to me?
To advance on the salary schedule beyond levels 8.0, 12.0 and 15.0 (vertical, longevity-related), bargaining unit members must earn six (6) professional advancement credits every four (4) years to cross an improvement level and earn three (3) professional advancement credits every two (2) years to cross an incentive level.
GUI Record and Salary Advancement
Your GUI record is housed in HR and is the official record of credits used to determine salary advancement. Questions regarding salary advancement should be directed to HR (663-5850). The records on the PD Catalog are unofficial records and are informational only.Click here to view the salary schedule.
PACs are sent to HR and uploaded to your GUI record after a course has been completed. You will be emailed a credit memo showing the amount of PACs awarded.
If a course is taken for Academic Credit, you are responsible for requesting an official transcript and turning it in to HR for salary schedule advancement. After the official transcript is turned in to HR, the credits will be added to the GUI record.
Credit Deadlines in HR for PACs, university credits, and/or degree verification
|PAC Review Committee Deadline||Salary Month||Month Reflected in Salary Increase|
* deadline is only for the PACC review; official deadline for HR is July 1st
Credit Guidelines for MMSD Courses
- Professional Advancement Credits (PACs) are only for employees in the Teaching (Collective Bargaining Agreement) Unit. One course PAC equals 10 hours. The total hours may include face-to-face, online instruction and extended assignments. Participation must occur during non-contract time, participants may not receive extended employment payment (also only available to the Teaching Unit), and participants may not have hotel, travel, or registration fees paid by the District. District policy is that PACs are truncated, not rounded up to the tenth. For example, .25 PACs would be recorded as .2 PACs. For District-offered courses, participants must complete the course to receive credit; there are no partial credit options. PACs will automatically be transferred to HR when participants complete a course in the PD Catalog.
- Academic Credit is credit offered by a participating college or university. If participants choose academic credit (College or University Credit), they cannot choose PACs. Participants must turn in Academic Credit transcripts to HR for salary schedule advancements.
- Extended Employment is occasionally an option available in the PD Catalog, paid by the sponsoring Department/School. If this option is selected, PACs are not an option.
- Teacher Salary Advancement information is managed by Human Resources: (608)663-1864
- Participants may receive:
- PACs, but not Academic Credits and not Extended Employment.
- Extended Employment, but not PACs. They can also choose Academic Credit if available.
- Academic Credit AND Extended Employment, but not PACs.
- Professional Development Hours (PD HOURS) are for administrators, SEAs, EAs, clerical, substitute teachers, and other Units who do not receive PACs. Extended Employment or Academic Credits are not an option when this choice is selected.
- PD Hours are also for teachers during contract time PD. They are just for the record; they are not relevant to salary advancement or license renewal.
- Find your credit record by logging into the GUI400 Icon (Space Shuttle) in your Novell Application Launcher.
Types of PACsNote: PAC forms are on the Professional Development Forms tab
MMSD SPONSORED ACTIVITIES
- Participation must occur during non-contract time
- Participant must not have received other MMSD compensation (sub, travel, fees, extended employment, registration, etc., or reimbursement for these fees)
- The activity does not need to be directly related to certification/assignment
- Participants must attend all designated sessions of a course to receive credit
Call Professional Development at 663-4955 with questions.